Saturday, June 4, 2011

2-7-11, ILC


We had safe and on-time flights to Richmond. The 1st 3 days passed in a blur trying to get a handle on what assignment was due when and where we needed to be at what times. Of course, it's all in our 2" binders we were given, but takes some time to sink in. We also serve on committees to help carry out the program. Bart is on the evangelization committee--they help people practice their testimony. I am on the library committee, and you can imagine what I do.

Luckily, we are next door to the main meeting place. We can even get wireless in our quad (4 efficiency apartments in each living unit) if we sit at the kitchen table and keep the door open into the large great room of the quad.   We have about a 1-min. walk to the cafeteria or gym and are usually having meals at 8, 12, and 5.  There's been plenty of fruit and salad to help you watch your waist-line. No desserts or sodas are served.

So our sessions so far have been introduction to the program, setting goals while one is here, risks of living overseas, and how to plant churches according to scriptural models. I had the 1st of 2 Saturdays on ESL this past Sat.  This week Jerry Rankin will be leading 3 sessions on spiritual warfare. We also have our 1st of 3 shot clinics on Friday.  I don't know how many shots we'll have to get. Really didn't want to know because then I would have to tell Eliz., who feels the same way about shots that her Aunt Jenn. does.

For our required aerobic exercise, 5x a week, Bart does Nordic track or walks. I've started the gradual program I found in Runner's World that will help me be able to jog for half an hour at completion. It's basically building up my wind. I'm at the week now where I run 4 minutes, walk 2, and do that cycle 5 times in 1 session.

One of my goals has been to review and decide on homeschooling curriculum. I think I am making some progress.  Mona Hewitt, dr's wife at Bapt. Med. Ctr. at Nalerigu, and on stateside assignment (furlough), may be coming here Feb. 21st for what is called contingency training--basically what to do if someone tries to rob or kidnap you. I told her that would be great if she could come because maybe we could sit down and make final choices together. I would like to submit my order by 1 March so it will be ready to pack in April.

Elizabeth has been kept busy in her school learning the same 7 dimensions of a missionary servant that we are: mind of a disciple, heart of a servant, well grounded as a family member and team player (3&4), reaching out as a cross-cultural witness and to the home churches as a mobilizer (5&6), all for the purpose of multiplying churches.  She is also learning Bible verses, learning about Ghana, and learning how to share her testimony. Her homework was to share it with at least 3 people, so she shared it during our joint worship this morning--killed quite a few birds with that stone. Our quad, all going to SubSaharan AFrica, and the quad next to us, all going to SubSaharan Africa, worship together on Sun. morning and meet from time to time during the week.  Out of 11 missionaries, we are the only ones who are career.  Everyone else is journeyman or Int'l Service Corps. I thought that was a little disappointing in terms of what that means for continued impact on the continent in evangelism and church planting. I am very happy, though, with the great ISC'ers we have as journeypeople--these girls are sharp and love the Lord. I know God will use them mightily where they will serve.

Eliz. has enjoyed playing indoor soccer, basketball, volleyball, and kickball with the other mk's almost every night after supper. But last week she strained her hamstring again, so she is off lower body exercise for 6 more days. I need to email David Adcock or Leta Lee Kant to ask for some good stretching exercises for her as well as hamstring strengthening exercises she could do to avoid future problems.



No comments:

Post a Comment